Saturday, September 27, 2008

Paul Newman, 1925-2008

Paul Newman is one of those actors we instinctively like. I use the present tense "is" because he made so many movies, one of them is bound to run on television in perpetuity.

I'm working from memory here, but I believe The Silver Chalice was his first big hit. Since then, his output has continued at a steady pace year after year.

We all have our personal favorite, but mine is Cool Hand Luke, followed closely by Hombre and then Hud. He filmed others with a one-word title beginning with "H" but I don't remember any of them. Maybe Harper was one. Hmmm,

I also liked Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Out of that one came the romantic Burt Bachrach song Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head, one of my favorites.

Paul is also well known for his variety of salad dressings, Newman's Own. My favorite is vinegar and olive oil. Just thinking about it makes me want a nice fresh salad.

Oh, and I think I'll dig through some old stuff. Somewhere around here, I have that "Raindrops" song.

Okay, keep on working in Heaven, Paul. The place could use sense of humor,

No comments: